After Disobedience (2020)by Vic DillahayThe rule is in its application.
“happily lost… floating in a sea of ambient chromaticism…”Richard Ellis
An instrumental musing on the affect of mediation on rules.
This piece is divided into 5 major sections:
- Structure (0:00): The piece introduces its harmonic structure, first with a drone, then adding a synth pattern (0:15), and finally add chords on electric piano (0:31).
- Stumbling (0:46): The guitar enters, trying but failing to play the pattern. The electric piano responds to failure by skipping chords in an attempt to remain consonant.
- Testing Edges (1:18): The guitar attempts to solo on a very fast and difficult series of chords, failing yet again. The electric piano now highlights the guitar's mistakes by shifting chords by a half step, increasing dissonance.
- Breaking Free (1:53): The guitar now solos on a ten-tone scale, avoiding only the most "out" dissonances. The electric piano doggedly plays along with the synth's pattern, abandoning any interaction with the guitar.
- New Consonance (2:21 to the end): The electric piano shifts to a series of chords designed to allow for a (relatively) high degree of consonance between the pattern and any note on the guitar. The guitar now solos freely until the end of the piece.
- Electric Guitar and Programming: Vic Dillahay
- After Disobedience (5:39)© 2020 Victor Carlton Dillahay
- After Disobedience - No Guitar or Piano Backing (5:39)© 2020 Victor Carlton Dillahay
- After Disobedience - No Guitar Backing Track (5:39)© 2020 Victor Carlton Dillahay
- After Disobedience - Solo Section Backing Track (3:45)© 2020 Victor Carlton Dillahay
Recorded at audiosalvage in Loveland, Colorado on June 24th, 2020 (programming), June 26th, 2020 (programming, tones, and drone), July 3rd, 2020 (failed at failure section), July 8th, 2020 (guitar), and August 5th, 2020 (mixdown).
- Label: Curious Automata
- Catalog Number: 200922a
- Released: September 22nd, 2020
- Format: Digital
- Total Tracks: 4
- Duration: 20:42